The competitive world of League of Legends is unparalleled in the E-sports community. There are hundreds of players and teams ready to rip each other apart for that position as World Champion.
Twenty-four of the top teams in the world will come together to battle it out in the span of a month for the coveted summoner’s cup and only one will be champion out of all of them. The energy that is filled within this world championship is one you cannot miss. The best players in the world will battle it out neck and neck in the most prestigious e-sports even of the year.
For the schedule of the championship, Riot’s supreme e-sports event is destined to take place in Europe. For the play-in and group rounds the teams will go to Berlin in the LEC Studio and Verti Music Hall. After that they will move on to Madrid Palacio Vistalegre for the quarter and semi-finals and finally land at the 20,300 capacity Accord Hotels Arena in Paris for the finals.
The key dates have been finalized withthe stages of the tournament as:
- Play-In Groups –Oct. 2 to Oct. 5
- Play-In Knockouts– Oct.7 to Oct. 8
- Group Stage – Oct.12 to Oct. 15, then Oct. 17 to Oct. 20
- Quarterfinals –Oct. 26 and Oct. 27
- Semi-finals – Nov.2 and Nov. 3
- Finals – Nov. 10
If you would like a more detailedbreakdown of the events and venues etc you can visit the League of LegendsWorld Championship portal for the complete rundown.
Teams and Groups
Below is a list of all four groupsand the teams contained in each.
- Group A – Cloud 9,G2 Esports, Griffin, TBC
- Group B – GAMEsports, FunPlus Phoenix, CTBC J Team, TBC
- Group C – SKTelecom T1, Fnatic, Royal Never Give Up, TBC
- Group D – ahqe-Sports Club, Team Liquid, Invictus Gaming, TBC
The Play-in Groups:
- Play-in Group A –MAMMOTH, Clutch Gaming, Unicorns of Love
- Play-in Group B –Splyce, Isurus Gaming, DetonatioN FocusMe
- Play-in Group C –MEGA Esports, Lowkey Esports, Hong Kong Attitude
- Play-in Group D –Flamengo eSports, DAMWON Gaming, Royal Youth
The play-in and group stages followa double round-robin best of one format before advancing to a single eliminationbest of five series for each knockout stage and quarterfinals onwards.
Where to Watch
Riot is going to be streaming everywhere on YouTube and Twitch so do not forget to watch it!
The event kicks off in a few days. The problem with predictions is that, in this case, is they are seemingly hard to make. The new meta is being tested out in this format; there could be the advent of a juggernaut hero dominating through to the finals or an underdog story to highlight the fact that anyone can be a champion.
Given the recent performances, we expect the trophy to come home to G2 Esports due to their star mid-laner Caps. However, we cannot overlook three-time champions SK Telecom T1 led by Faker and the famous Invictus Gaming to come back and regain their title. Fnatic and Cloud 9 also showed potential as they managed to reach the knockout stages in last year’s event. Team Liquid need to prove themselves if they want to stand a chance, other than a finalist spot at the Mid Season Invitational which was unexpected.